- Turtle necks or V-necks are flattering provided that neither is exaggerated in style. Avoid very wide or particularly deep V-neck garments or bulky cowlneck sweaters that completely hide the neck.
- For close-up portraits, long sleeves are essential for teen and adults, as bare arms call attention to themselves and will overpower the face.
- Women being photographed in full length should wear long skirts, pants, or dark stockings in order to keep the eye from being directed toward the legs and away from the face.
- If feet are to show in the portrait, assure that shoes and stockings are in keeping with the visual intent of the portrait.
- Men should be clean shaven or facial hair should be carefully groomed, with their hair cut about one week before the portrait session. Women should be photographed whenever they are happiest with their hair in relation to the time it is styled.